There is just one week to go until One Billion Rising- still time for you to be part of making ending violence against women and girls a priority for everyone in Britain.
We’re delighted to announce that Thandie Newton will be joining the #OBRUK flashmob and photocall in Parliament Square at 11am on Thursday 14th February.
Help us get our message inside the gates of parliament too by writing to your MP and asking them to vote yes for the One Billion Rising motion to make sex and relationship education part of the national curriculum for both boys and girls on the day. You can find a sample text to use when writing to them here and their contact details too. We want your help in contacting all 649 MPs who can vote! Here is a briefing from Women’s Aid for schools to share with your local teachers and school governors too.
Below are just some of the events taking place in London on the day – we hope you can join us at any of them to show your support for #OBRUK. All of these events are open to everyone and free to attend:
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM One Billion Rising LONDON Flashmob The Covent Garden Piazza
- 10:30 AM – 6:30 PM VDay at the Hayward Gallery The Hayward Gallery
- 11:00 AM – 11:15 AM Brixton Flashmob Windrush Square, Brixton
- 11:00 AM – 11:45 AM Flashmob and Remembering the 109 with Thandie Newton Parliament Square
- 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM Debate in Parliament on OBR and Sex Education- ask to sit in the Gallery! House of Commons
- 1:00 PM – 1:30 PM The Young Vic Rising The Young Vic
- 2:00PM – 3:00PM One Billion Rising LONDON Flashmob Outside The London Assembly, CityHall
- 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM Dance, Dance! Proper British Style London Eye
- 2.15 PM – 2.45 PM Restless Buddha Flashmob Southbank Centre
- 4.00 PM – 5.00 PM OBRUK event with Yvette Cooper MP and Stella Creasy MP Southbank Centre
- 5:30 PM – 6:00 PM Lambeth Rising Flash Mob Windrush Square Brixton
- 6:00 PM – 6:45 PM Restless Buddha at the Whitechapel Gallery Whitechapel Gallery
- 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM Dance Walking Our Truth With The Love Bugs For One Billion Rising Piccadilly Circus
As well as the above, there are now nearly 160 events planned across the UK- Find your local event see the list here and don’t forget to invite your friends and family as well as local councillors or MSP and Assembly Members to join you too! In this final week please also help us tell the world about One Billion Rising- please tweet about why you are rising by using our hashtag #obruk or #1BillionRising, share our tumblr page and our Facebook updates.
One Billion Rising is a unique grassroots volunteer led movement which is helping women and those who love them to rise in support of this campaign across 200 countries- Here is a video message from Eve Ensler to you to say thank you for your support and a short article about the scale of the challenge we face in Britain as well as the work taking place internationally.
Please be part of next week’s day of action and help us say enough- its time to rise for a world where everyone lives equally without fear!